Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Doctor's appointment

Had my doctor's appointment today. Told them I was having severe pain and excessive bleeding. They took my blood pressure (which was good...110/something), then told me to take my pants off and cover up with a paper towel (okay, drape...basically just a huge paper towel).

I thought this was going to be a clothes-on visit. Yikes.

Well, it wasn't as bad as I feared. No speculum, at any rate. He poked around in there, feeling for masses, and didn't find any. So they did a vaginal ultrasound. It had a condom on it! I managed to control myself (I am quite medicated at the moment) and didn't laugh out loud...but I wanted to.

The ultrasound was actually very interesting. I'd never seen my uterus before. It looks exactly like the illustrations in Endometriosis for Dummies. Kind of like a really thick pancake folded in half. I didn't see my ovaries, but the ultrasound technician assured me they were there. (She had to hunt for them, though...the only really uncomfortable part of the procedure.) The verdict: Everything is healthy. I may have little blobbies, but nothing big enough to show on the ultrasound.

Whew.

I also asked if I should be worried about my fertility. (A little late for that -- I have been worried about it. Massively so.) He said that, from what he could see, I have nothing to worry about. Whew again.

So, treatment. We're trying a new BC pill -- Mircette. I'll have to read up on it. I'm in the middle of a Yaz pack now, so I won't start the Mircette for a couple of weeks. I will, of course, report back.

As far as the pain goes, the general consensus is that I must have blobbies on a nerve. Yay. I'm going to start taking more Lyrica; he says that since it's for chronic pain, I should be okay taking it more often than I normally do (one or two days a month). If that doesn't help...well, then we're up to the dope. I'm hoping it doesn't get to that point.

I also asked him about the Aleve, and he said that if taking it one day before my period doesn't help, then it's not going to help. Bummer.

One benefit from all this: Since the Lyrica puts a medication wall between me and the world, I'm not as stressed as I was before. Of course, this comes at the price of concentration, coordination, and sometimes consciousness (took a completely unintentional 4.5-hour nap after work yesterday), but hey.

No comments: