Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Yoga for cramping people

Two posts in one day...I'm just as shocked as you are. Guess this means I can slack off for a bit now.

I've been test-driving some yoga videos, thanks to my handy-dandy Roku box. (Seriously...I love this thing. I don't watch TV, but I love me some Netflix.) Mostly I've been doing this for my mother, who has high blood pressure (part genetics, part stress) and other assorted heart problems...the woman needs to learn how to relax. A few years ago, I bought her a yoga starter kit -- mat, blocks, strap, and a how-to video. They're all still in the box. I think she's intimidated by yoga. Until recently, I didn't understand why.

See, I was spoiled. My first experience with yoga was this nifty little box set I bought from Borders -- Simply Yoga. The instructor, Yolanda, has the most soothing voice (and a gorgeous Australian accent). Every movement is slow, gentle, and deliberate. None of the stretches are overly challenging unless I'm experiencing excruciating cramps. It's just a peaceful, calming experience.

In my experiments, however, I've encountered some truly scary yoga. Fast-paced routines meant for strong, flexible people. People who apparently don't feel like they have daggers in the backs of their thighs. Yoga videos with words like "crunch" and "burn" in the title. I might try those some day, but not today. Or this week. Or probably next week.

In the meantime, I'm sticking with my nice Australian lady. And this mellow couple I've found -- Charles and Lisa Matkin, who have a couple of videos for people with injuries or chronic conditions like diabetes or high blood pressure. While I am otherwise healthy as a horse, I could not complete all the poses in these videos...not while cramping, anyway. But I came close. And I don't think they'll scare Mom off. So my next step is trying to arrange some mother-daughter yoga time. And doing some yoga of my own in the meantime.

No comments: